Saturday, October 8, 2016

It's too hot to tan



I’m going to be honest here I thought I would be a lot tanner by now.  I thought oh hey I’ll be in a Caribbean country, on weekends I can lay out and catch some rays…  It is literally too hot to tan here.  Being in direct sunlight is like lighting yourself on fire and just standing there not trying to put it out.  And because there is no AC anywhere you have a hard time cooling off when you come in from the inferno that is outdoors.
Before I came other PCV’s told me to always carry an umbrella, but I did not realize it was for the sun rather than the rain.  It is so hot here that if you venture out without an umbrella to protect you, random concerned citizens will yell at you. I was even told that my umbrella was too small once.  I didn’t know that was a possibility, but I guess if any part of your arms are exposed it’s too small…
There is a “beach” here with sand and all.  I’ve been, but it was weirdly windy, and the wind wasn’t coming off the water, it was coming from the side so the sand just constantly pelts your body.  It is the worst exfoliating treatment you could get.  And the water is not really clean looking.  Also to get to it takes a few hours in a minibus with 18 people and few windows. So tanning on the beach, yeah that’s out. 
So if you’re wondering why I look so pale after spending 27 months in a Caribbean country… The simple answer is that living like a vampire is really the way to go here.   (And yes I do realize this will save me from getting skin cancer in the future)

No comments:

Post a Comment